Sunday, February 12, 2012

Crock-pot Chicken Noodle Soup (for a freezing cold day!)

Last night the wind sounded like it was literally going to break a window!  It was sooo windy, and when we woke up this morning it was 23 degrees out!   Nothing "warms" you up like Chicken Noodle Soup and luckily, I had ALL the ingredients in my fridge!  I still had some carrots & celery leftover from our Super Bowl Party and I had some chicken breast in the freezer from when HT had them B1G2..

If you woke up to freezing temperatures and have the ingredients in your fridge, throw them all in your crock-pot so you have a delicious WARM soup to eat later after enduring the frigid cold all day!

Crock-Pot Chicken Noodle Soup (My Way)
*I don't measure anything.. so I tried to put approximates!*

Ingredients:

  • Chicken-uncooked (whatever you have- I had 3 breasts in the freezer I am using)
  • 4 Stalks of Celery chopped
  • 4 Carrots peeled & chopped
  • 1 Sweet Onion Chopped
  • Parsley (approx 1/4 cup)
  • Basil (approx 1 tsp)
  • Seasoned Salt (approx 1tsp)
  • Salt (approx 1 tsp depending on how salty you like it)
  • Pepper (approx 1/4 tsp)
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 4 Cups Water
  • 4 Cups Chicken Broth (I use reduced sodium)
  • 1/2 bag of Egg Noodles
Throw all of the above in your 4-5qt crockpot and cook on Low 8hrs.   Shred Chicken and if you used bone-in chicken, remove any bones.  Add noodles and cook another hour on Low.  Enjoy!
*If you don't have egg noodles you can also use Rice and make it Chicken & Rice Soup!  Depending on the type of rice... you may only have to cook it 30 additional minutes.

*Note:  I threw my Chicken Breast in the crock-pot Frozen--  it will cook just fine from that state =)

5 comments:

  1. Silly question! If using fresh chicken breasts, do I cube them or stick them in whole? I am a newbie to the cooking thing!! Thanks for an awesome blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick them in whole and then shred them up later before you put the noodles in =)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! I am going to try this tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same recipe that I use except sometimes I just add a bag of frozen veggies if I don't have fresh carrots/celery on hand. It's not QUITE as good but it does the trick when you're not wanting to get out of the house to pick up missing ingredients. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the frozen veggies thing too. I love how much seasoning you add but I also like to add some sage to my chicken soup. It adds a really nice depth to the dish. ThankS!

    ReplyDelete