Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I was trying to come up with some new "lighter" dinner options and I stumbled across this Asian Chicken Lettuce Wrap recipe from skinnytaste.com.   Andrew loves the lettuce wraps from pei wei & PF Changs so I decided to give this recipe a try!  I altered it a bit from skinnytaste.com so here is my rendition:

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
2 Servings (for dinner)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Large Boneless Chicken Breasts
  • 1/2 cup water chestnuts
  • 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (I used Reduced Sodium)
  • 1 tsp Oyster Sauce
  • 2 tsp Sesame Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp White Ground Pepper
  • (3) Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
  • 8 Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
  • 2 Tbsp Diced Scallions

First, I combined the Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, 1 tsp of sesame oil (save the rest for later), Rice Wine Vinegar, Sugar and Ground White Pepper in a small bowl.

Next, wash & trim your chicken.  I cut each breast into 6 smaller pieces.  Place chicken AND Water Chestnuts in food processor and process until ground.   Place chicken/water chestnuts & sauce mixture in bag and marinate at least 15 minutes. (I prepped my chicken/sauce the night before and marinated overnight- the flavor was great!)

Heat remaining 1 tsp sesame oil in wok or large skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook until golden brown.  (stirring constantly- it burns fast!)   Add the marinated chicken mixture and cook until browned/cooked through.  

Spoon Chicken Mixture into lettuce pieces and top with scallions and your choice of sauce.  Here is what I used for sauce: (all found in the oriental section at HT)
  • Harris Teeter Sweet Chili Sauce
  • Harris Teeter Sriracha Sauce
  • Hoisin Sauce
I mixed together all of the above sauces and put it on my wraps!  The hubs liked the sweet chili sauce on his.  On skinnytaste.com they recommend mixing hoisin, sriracha and water to get a yummy sauce.  Mix what you like for your lettuce wraps!  =)


We devoured almost ALL of the recipe!  I had a little bit left to take to work for lunch the next day to make (2) small wraps.  I would definitely recommend doubling or tripling this recipe if you have more than (2) people eating it for dinner! 

Enjoy!

Melissa






1 comment: